Fruited Mustard Sauce
Mostardas originated in the 17th century when farming families prepared a special flour, mustard, vinegar, candied fruit, and wine must dressing (wine must is how the recipe adopted the name mostarda) for their holiday celebrations. Modern mostarda is made from fruit, sugar and mustard oil. Our varieties include:
- Apricot: Ideal with cold cuts and game or on buttered toast.
- Pear: perfect with Parmesan and Grana Padano or any aged, robust cheese.
- Orange: a combination of orange varieties and pure quality mustard oil; its sweet and sour taste is a perfect partner for roast duck, chicken, game and fresh, creamy cheeses.
- Fig: The fig has been used over the years to embellish simple dishes or adorn aristocratic recipes. An excellent accompaniment to game, hams and fresh or slightly mature cheeses.
- Cherry: Made with the world famous Italian Amarena cherry. Excellent with sheep's milk cheeses or lamb.
- Wild Berry: Made with wild harvested berries taken from the Venetian countryside. Pairs perfectly with deli meats and goat cheeses.